Sunday, April 29, 2012

Happy Birthday Shanny!!!
Today three years ago, at this very moment, I was sitting in a hospital room waiting for Shannon to arrive. At 6:01 pm she would enter this world and change our lives forever. Shannon has been a blessing. And as the first child she has tested the depth to which my idols are ingrained into my being and how much I am going to rely on God to "change me!" 
She came into our lives with fierce intensity having traveled down the birth canal with no notice to anyone in the room. Everyone kept telling me when I had the urge to push let them know. So, I laid there waiting for this "urge," that actually never came. The epidural I had was enough that I could feel the mild discomfort of the contractions or pressure if you will. I kept feeling the mild discomfort (but not pressure in my behind) and reaching down I noticed I could feel her. Well, this caused a lot of people to get into action. And with three cycles of pushes and about 15 minutes she was born. To my disappointment she was whisked away to the NICCU. You see I had a fever that had grown with the passing of time to 104.5 and apparently she had a fever of 102.5.
I spent the next several hours in the delivery room on ice to bring my fever down and then waiting to meet my daughter. On the way to my room the nurse took me to the NICCU to meet her where I was kicked out for having a fever. The moment at last came. We met her. I distinctly remember the heat from her little body and how delicate she was, the look of pride in my husband, and the surreal feeling of being a parent for the first time. 

Although my placenta came back normal and the tests from the blood taken on her came back negative the hospital kept us and gave Shannon treatments twice a day for the next several days. Our whole stay in the hospital was a week. She gave us quite the introduction into the new world of parenting and has continued.

It would seem to me that the way she entered the world has been an indication of her personality......She is outgoing and extremely friendly, determined to do what she wants and when (as indicated by sitting, standing, walking holding things, getting a tooth, and many other things before she was "supposed" to), she has a sensitive side that demonstrates great empathy towards anyone and thing(including ants found traveling on her which I was to throw outside). Often times she can be found "mothering" her siblings and her friends siblings despite their wishes (often repeating Momma's instructions or corrections). She has quite a flair for "girly" things which I often wonder where it came from. She can be found on any given day (today included even with a temp of 102) asking to wear "princess" dresses, play jewelry, and wear  her crown from gamma Ehman. Her childlike faith has been an encouragement with her often asking to go to Sunday School, responding to situations wanting to "pray," and often praying with a thankful heart without being told. Her tenacious spirit in attempting to understand her world is as with her personality: intense too. She is always asking why things work, how, who this person is or that, or asking to play games or do learning activities. 
I am so blessed and thankful for all the ways in which God has enabled us to grow as parents and in our walk with Him due to her influence in our lives!  Thank You Lord!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment